When Westchester-Rockland County Homeowners Go Solar, They Want to Go Local, Survey Finds
Sunrise Solar Solutions Survey Reveals What Hudson Valley Solar Customers Value Most
Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. — A new survey conducted by Sunrise Solar Solutions showed that 77 percent of homeowners in Westchester and Rockland counties and throughout the Hudson Valley, who want to install a solar energy system would either prefer a local company (42 percent), or one that was recommended by a friend (35 percent). Only 26 percent said they would consider a national installer.
That’s not surprising, says Douglas Hertz, president and CEO of Sunrise Solar Solutions LLC in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. “Installing a rooftop solar energy system is a significant decision, and homeowners and business owners recognize that it’s vital to choose an installer they can trust,” Mr. Hertz says. “That’s why, as the premier installer of hundreds of solar energy systems in the area, the overwhelming majority of our business comes from customer referrals and word-of-mouth recommendations.”
“We work where we live, and we take a great deal of pride in that. Unlike a national company, which may have spread out interests, at Sunrise Solar Solutions we are deeply committed to the long-term success of each project and each community we serve. Because we are a local firm, our customers know that we will be consistently available and responsive to their needs.”
Friend recommendations also topped the list of most helpful resources for researching and choosing a solar installer (57 percent), followed by online reviews (55 percent) and face-to-face conversations with a solar company (47 percent).
The survey, which received responses from residents of Westchester, Rockland and Orange Counties and upstate New York, also found:
- More than three-quarters, 77 percent of respondents, said they had considered installing a solar energy system on their homes.
- The top reason cited for considering solar energy was to reduce energy costs, with 43 percent, while 25 percent said environmental responsibility was most important.
- The biggest barrier to going solar was that homeowners thought it seemed too expensive, according to 42 percent of respondents. Some 24 percent felt their homes had too much shade.
- 48 percent of homeowners said the costs of installing and maintaining a solar energy system would be the biggest factor in their decisions, and 44 percent said getting a return on their investment was their top consideration.
- In terms of aesthetics, 45 percent said the appearance of solar panels would not be a factor in their decision, while 42 percent said it was a possible factor.
- When asked what kind of pricing would encourage them to go solar, 66 percent said tax credits, and 48 percent said a period of free system maintenance.
“We now understand that educating homeowners — who believe that they can’t afford to switch to solar energy because it’s too expensive — is so important. Too many people don’t understand how affordable and easy it is to go solar. With our No-Money-Down financing plan combined with federal and state tax credits, we can guarantee that our customers save money from Day 1,” says Hertz.
Sunrise Solar Solutions has been selected for numerous Solarize campaigns all over the region, including Solarize Nyack Plus, which is still ongoing. Rockland County residents who want to take advantage of Solarize pricing must sign up by June 30 at http://solarize-hudsonvalley.org/sign-up-to-go-solar/#SolarizeNyack.